Earth Day 2020
Earth day is April 22, 2020. Here are 10 things you can do while quarantined to help the planet. Everyone’s small efforts together can make a big difference. Many of these activities are kid friendly – keep the kids entertained and help the planet, a win all around!
- Start a compost bin. Compost is a great way to reduce waste and turn it into something good for the planet, a mineral enriched soil that is great for planting and fertilizing. Here are some DIY compost bins made with common household items.
- Use a reusable water bottle. Did you know that more than 60 million plastic water bottles end up in landfills daily?
- Make your yard, porch or outdoor space creature friendly. Even with a small yard you can make it inviting to several different birds, insects, and other small creatures. Find simple ideas here.
- Changed light bulbs to energy efficient bulbs. According to Energy.gov switching to energy efficient light bulbs could save you an average of $75 per year and reduce the heat put off by bulbs in turn lowering your cooling expense.
- Plant a garden. Whether it is a small indoor window garden, or a large outdoor garden take the time to plant the seeds and nurture them. Bonus: you will get to enjoy the freshest of fruits and/or vegetables. Gardening with kids.
- Plant a tree. One mature tree can help purify air by removing over 48 lbs. of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere a year and can produce enough oxygen for up to 4 people per day.
- Start recycling. A great way to save the waste that is piled into our landfills daily. Click here to watch a short video with some great tips to get you started.
- Unplug. Take the time to unplug electronics and appliances when not in use. Even when these items are shut off, they still draw some energy.
- Have a recycled material craft competition. Make something amazing using recycled bottles, paper, cardboard, etc. Great ideas to get your imagination soaring.
- Spend time outside. Go for a walk or hike. Enjoy nature.
These simple tasks can make a difference in the world we live in. What better time to do something for mother nature than now, while many of us must be home? Choose something from the list above or do your own activity. We would love to see what you are doing – please share a picture through our social media outlets: Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.